School Board Approves 10-year Facility Plan, Repurposing of Newport Elementary in 2025
Dear Newport Elementary Community,
During the regular school board business meeting on Thursday, April 21, the school board approved the South Washington County Schools 10-year facility plan. We acknowledge the impact on Newport Elementary School and understand the disappointment and sadness with this decision.
As previously shared, the districtwide plan will directly impact Newport Elementary no earlier than 2025 following a successful bond election on Aug. 9, 2022. The 10-year facility plan will:
- Repurpose Newport Elementary into an early childhood learning center.
- Move current Newport Elementary students to new attendance boundary schools:
- Woodbury Elementary (applies to students who live in the City of Woodbury)
- Cottage Grove Elementary (applies to nearly all of the City of Newport)
- Bailey Elementary (applies to students who live closer to Bailey Elementary)
As we approach 2025, we will create a team that includes parents, staff and community members to help provide a smooth transition for students.
The school board also approved moving forward with a bond election on Aug. 9, 2022 that will ask voters to approve a $462.6 million bond to fund the facility package. You can learn more about the full plan at sowashco.org/facilityplanning. Thank you.